1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

MtG Tournaments
Support MtG Ontario

Download Magic the Gathering Online

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   Members ListMembers List   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 My AccountMy Account   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
March 17 PTQ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     Magic the Gathering in Ontario Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubs
Thrull
Thrull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

Hey,

Anyone here have any concrete info on the march 17 PTQ? I heard it was Modern at the legion at 10am? What store is running this? Entry fee? Prizing?? Etc.....

Can't find a link in tournament forum.

Any help appreciated thanks!
mtgyoungster
Skeleton
Skeleton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

skyfox games is hosting it...

here is a link to the event at their site with information

http://www.skyfoxgames.com/tournaments/skyfox-events/viewevent/193-pro-tour-qualifier-seattle-dragon-maze.html
KLay
Zombie
Zombie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

401 recently upped the ante when it comes to prize support for PTQ's. I'm interested in seeing what happens for this one.
dubs
Thrull
Thrull

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

Thank you for the link! Now I have concrete info, sweeeet!

I agree, the 401 PTQ was sweet prizing! I have a buddies that finished top 8 and 19th and they both got sweet prizes!
Reinhardt
Yawgmoth
Yawgmoth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A $25 PTQ in Ontario..is this real life?
Fozefy
Yawgmoth
Yawgmoth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinhardt wrote:
A $25 PTQ in Ontario..is this real life?

I guess this is what competition does, eh?
monkey
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

My concern is it's a Sunday PTQ with a 9:45am cut off but the TTC doesn't start till 9am. I hope they are flexible with reg time.
Reinhardt
Yawgmoth
Yawgmoth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protip: Don't live in Scarborough ;P

Can't wait to see the outcry when 2nd gets 18 packs because it's $25
hotrod
Imp
Imp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

You'll have to forgive me when I say that prize support isn't the end all when it comes to a ptq.

Most of the staff at 401 are total jerks at the best, so when you consider ~92% of those attending the ptq saw no change except for the possibility of worse customer service you can't really call that a upsell to attend.

A group of use are trying to create a petition to not have them host regional events anymore. We would love competition just not with them, I'm sure others will and can offer just as good prize support.

If you do have to attend one of there events please buy cards from the third party vendors whenever possible.

I will not be responding to this post, I've submitted my opinion, that is all.
Fozefy
Yawgmoth
Yawgmoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

hotrod wrote:
You'll have to forgive me when I say that prize support isn't the end all when it comes to a ptq.

Most of the staff at 401 are total jerks at the best, so when you consider ~92% of those attending the ptq saw no change except for the possibility of worse customer service you can't really call that a upsell to attend.

A group of use are trying to create a petition to not have them host regional events anymore. We would love competition just not with them, I'm sure others will and can offer just as good prize support.

If you do have to attend one of there events please buy cards from the third party vendors whenever possible.

I will not be responding to this post, I've submitted my opinion, that is all.

Interesting, I never noticed any of this, though with that said I haven't had much experience interacting with 401.

What I did see was great prize support and a well run tournament considering the large number of players in attendance. The last time Marv had an event that big there were people being bought out of the tournament with packs from the prize pool, not acceptable.

You're free to create your petition of course, but I for one am not interested in signing it.
cseifert
Skeleton
Skeleton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

Fozefy wrote:
Interesting, I never noticed any of this, though with that said I haven't had much experience interacting with 401.

What I did see was great prize support and a well run tournament considering the large number of players in attendance. The last time Marv had an event that big there were people being bought out of the tournament with packs from the prize pool, not acceptable.

You're free to create your petition of course, but I for one am not interested in signing it.

I agree with this. I don't know what experience everyone else had, but I thought it was extremely well run and had the best prize support I've ever seen at a PTQ. The only issue was the delay due to lack of seating for the huge turnout, otherwise it seemed like nearly flawless execution for a first try at running a PTQ.

Then again, hotrod apparently signed up just to write this one post so he's probably just trolling.
paulxing
Lord
Lord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or hotrod is harddrive.

Someone had to say it. Pham's in Japan.
Reinhardt
Yawgmoth
Yawgmoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ where does he keep getting these accounts from?
Archon
Yawgmoth
Yawgmoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: March 17 PTQ Reply with quote

Sadly I didn't get to go to the 401 PTQ but just from what I've read here, I would definately want to go to their next one.

Shameless plug: Sean of Brimstone Games (soon to be in Windsor) is working towards running PTQs as well and I know for sure would be putting up prize support similar to 401's. He would be happy to get the London PTQs and is hoping in the next couple seasons he'll get a shot. He's also part of Professional Event Services and has plenty of background experience running GPs.
eskimo
Thrull
Thrull

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't at the 401 PTQ so I can't say anything about it specifically, but I can agree with the sentiment that prizes aren't everything.

$30ish for a days entertainment playing in a large Magic tournament seems decent to me even without taking prizes into account.

I take my kids bowling for 3 hours it'll cost me more than that. I take the family to a movie and it costs me more than that.

I understand that I'm in the minority on this, but quite frankly at the price of a magic tournament, I couldn't care less whether or not I come out of it with prizes.

$30 for a days entertainment is not a problem for me at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     Magic the Gathering in Ontario Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: